This is Week 2 of my Learning to Longboard project, and I’m already making progress. I feel far more confident in my longboarding skills, even if they are still basic. Something that really fueled my practice this week was Hans Wouter’s video on 10 Beginner Longboard Tips. In his video he talked about having the confidence to take some falls- it made me realize that if I really want to make some progress, I will need to be okay with getting hurt. Otherwise, I will be too hesitant to really give my full effort.
I am proud to announce I have fallen 8 times! Thank you, thank you very much.
My other accomplishments for the week include:
- learning how to carve
- learning how to pick up my board
- learning how to jump onto my board
- shifting my feet more smoothly when going from pushing to cruising
- discovering I ride goofy (my right foot is forward and I push with my left). However, as I get better, I want to learn to ride switch (learning to ride both regular and goofy so that you can switch stances to give your other foot a break)
- gaining more balance and speed
Check out my progress video for this week:
It has been a bit of a challenge to get outside and practice everyday. Since this is my hometown, it seems like every time I go for a walk I run into five people I know, so it can be intimidating to go out and be a beginner in public. I’m trying my best to not let that stop me, but I know that’s something I need to work on.
Some other things I hope to work on this week include:
- not losing my balance whenever I ride over a pavement crack
- gaining more momentum by getting better at pumping
- building endurance and confidence
Tonight, the goal is to cruise down the paved trail that runs for 2km between my house and the skatepark. I will definitely let you know how that goes.